Saturday, April 7, 2012

Sienna Sounds

Spenser may be our in-house drummer, and as such he gets loads of "airplay" and nary a break as he is on every song.  However, the talent of our eldest must not be overlooked.  Yes she plays clarinet, but in our band, she's the keyboardist.  She shines so much on the next song that she is the featured musician, and Spenser will be sitting out.  I could be playing guitar on this song, but she prefers me not to, so I'm letting her take the lead on this one.  Here is a practice piece from last night.


The song is called "Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars.  It is on The Hunger Games soundtrack, which may have fueled Sienna's desire to learn it.  Whatever the reason, she learned it quick and was willing to share it.  The song is originally done on acoustic guitar, but is quite complicated with many hammer-ons and pull-offs.  She is able to play those nuances on the keyboard, and it sounds nice.  Unfortunately, she isn't willing to sing, so I must.  Wouldn't it be awesome if she would sing and play piano?  We'll keep on hopin' and dreamin'!

We recently added some new equipment to the Samour Sounds inventory.  The first are floor monitors which are used to run preferred sound to members of the band.


They sit on the floor in front of you and are supposed to help you hear yourself, usually a vocal.  So far, I haven't noticed any marked improvement with them, but I'm hoping there's just a learning curve and we'll get it right over the next few practices.  We also added a bass amp; it's the Peavey.



Now all we need is a bass, and we will be completely outfitted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment