Monday, December 27, 2010

Graced with a Christmas Miracle

Believe it or not, on Christmas Day the family gathered to play 'Amazing Grace.'  It was our chosen christmas song this year, and it all stemmed from Sienna, saying she could play it and would play it with us, on the keyboard.  Well Rob was ecstatic and tried his darndest to learn it quick, and I followed suit.  We practiced once or twice and then on one particular night as Rob announced practice would start soon, he heard from Sienna's mouth, "I'll only play it once."  This was the last straw for Rob because he couldn't believe such defiance was coming from the very voice that brought it up in the first place.  So he announced he was done, and the song was off for good.  He put his workout clothes on and went to the gym to vent his anger.  Sienna stormed to her room early and shut the door for the night.  I solemnly headed for bed. 

On christmas eve morning Rob and I went shopping and then to breakfast.  I thought it might be a good time to bring up 'christmas song 2010.'  As you know, Rob has poured many hours and dollars into music with lessons, instruments, and equipment. It is obviously something he enjoys and makes a priority of in daily life.  But he becomes quickly disheartened when he doesn't see the same enthusiasm in the rest of us.  Don't get me wrong, we all enjoy music too, but sometimes we don't feel like practicing, or recording, especially at the hour we tend to practice.  However, having said all that, we need some pushing, some urging, and some encouragement.  We need that 'swift kick in the a**' or else no songs would ever be learned.  Personally, I lack that drive and motivation.  I need to be coached to strap on the guitar and step up to the microphone, otherwise I wouldn't do it.  So, I reminded Rob of that during breakfast and helped him see that although we may not act like it, we do want to be a family band and perform songs together.  Basically I got him to stay on as our manager and roadie.  Whew!  The only thing he asked of me was to talk to Sienna.  To me, that was the easy part.  I knew she would do it.

So christmas day came and the events of the day kept us busy.   Would Rob get his christmas wish of recording 'Amazing Grace?'  It definitely wasn't first in most of the familys' mind but eventually the subject came up and I gently asked the kids if they would play if we set everything up.  Can you believe they said yes and took time away from their laptops and christmas presents to record?  It was the perfect way to end christmas day and was our own little christmas miracle.  So here it is.......


It's not how great we sound that counts.  Instead it is the compromise, the togetherness, and the 'piece de resistance' - Sienna playing an instrument in the family band!
 

3 comments:

  1. I love your determination to keep the family band together! Hope to hear and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool. I watched and listened to your videos. In awe.

    Thanks for sharing Rob. Watching you guys jamb as a family is pretty awesome.

    Mony, he needs a new Honda VTX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete