Monday, March 28, 2011

Country Concerts for Free Part II

As I mentioned at the end of the Darryl Worley post, Rob and I were headed to CityFest in Tempe to see one of my favorite country bands - The Band Perry.  Continuing our weekend of free country concerts, we caught the light rail into the heart of Tempe.  Mill Avenue looked great, revitalized again with open shops and lots of restaurants.  I'm sure the addition of light rail right through the heart of Mill Avenue and ASU has something to do with it.  You gotta love Arizona transportation systems!  (Wink, Wink, props to our Deputy State Engineer)  Here we are sitting alongside the lake.



It was a beautiful Sunday evening and many were attending the CityFest which was also billed as a 'service' event.  It basically was a religious convention with many christian performers but also a key note speaker/evangelist named Luis Palau.  So Rob and I tried waiting patiently through the 'inspirational' stories about being born again.  Of course we're believers but we were really there to enjoy the music, not be preached to.  The Band Perry was scheduled at 6 p.m. so when 6:30 came, and then 7:00, and then 7:30 I just about gave up.  So much for having faith.  But we headed back to open ground near center stage and could tell that the band was setting up.  Finally they introduced The Band Perry.  Hallelujah!  Here they are singing their hit If I Die Young.




It was definitely worth the wait.  They did appoximately six songs and they rocked it.  What's especially neat about them is they are a family band.  The lead singer is Kimberly, and she is accompanied by her brothers Reid and Neil.  Mom is their manager!  How cool is that?  And you know that we sort of have our own family band.  I must admit it is hard to all play at the same time and/or practice, something you've heard before in previous posts.  Rob practices almost every night;  I play when I feel like it and often alone.  Here's my version of the same song, If I Die Young.  I've never shared before, so yes I'm putting myself out there!



It's pretty rough, but imagine a future posting with an awesome 10 year old drummer adding a beat.  With more practice from Mom and Spenser's prowess, we might be The Band Perry worthy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment